- 8 Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course
- This 8 hour course is required by New York State as the first step in obtaining a security guard license from the New York State department of State. The course provides the student with a general overview of the duties and responsibilities of a security guard. Topics covered in this course include the role of the security guard, legal powers and limitations and much more.
- The passing of an examination is required for successful completion of this course
- 16 Hour On-the-Job Training Course
- This is a 16 hour course, taken over 2 days, that must be completed within 90 days of employment as a security guard. The course provides the student with detailed information on the duties and responsibilities of a security guard. Topics covered in this course include the emergency situations, communications and public relations, terrorism and much more.
- The passing of an examination is required for successful completion of this course. Prerequisite is successful completion of 8 Hour Pre-Assignment Training Course (license in hand) AND an employment offer as a Security Guard
- 8 Hour Annual In-Service Training Course
- This is an 8 hour course that must be completed within 12 calendar months from completion of the 16 Hour On-the-Job Training Course for Security Guards, and annually thereafter. The course is structured to provide the student with updated and enhanced information on the duties and responsibilities of a security guard. Topics include the role of the security guard, access control, ethics and conduct and more.
- The passing of an examination is required for successful completion of this course.
For the past 10 years, Taylor J. Herrick has provided excellent attention to detail and has effectively represented the face of the Public Safety Department at Saratoga Hospital. Taylor has proven to be indispensable in providing safety and security to those who come to Saratoga Hospital.
Taylor has brought over 15 years of experience in the field of Public Safety. He is a magna cum laude graduate of SUNY Adirondack, holding a degree in Criminal Justice. He is currently attending Empire State College where he will earn his degree in Business Administration with a minor in Emergency Management. He is currently a NYS Armed Guard, DCJS approved NYS General Topics Instructor, Certified Active Shooter & Workplace Violence Instructor, and NCBRT Instructor in Screening of Persons by Observational Techniques, and holds the following certificates in the field of Public Safety – Healthcare Professional Safety Certificate (IAHSS), Non-Violent Crisis Intervention Certification through CPI, FEMA certificates (ICS-15.b, 18, 33, 100, 106, 139, 200, 230, 235, 240, 241, 244, 394, 546, 700, 702, 800, 836, 906, 907, 914, & 915). He also holds several certificates from Homeland Security in Enhanced Bomb Threat Management, Response to Terrorist Bombings, and Indicators of Terrorist Attach Cycle for Emergency Responders. We are also lucky to have him on several committees for the hospital, Environmental of Care (EOC), Patient Department Safety Advocates, Emergency Preparedness, & Security Nurses and Physicians (SNAP).
David H. Nelson
Mr. David Nelson has been working in the private security field since 1988. Before that, he was a signals intelligence analyst with the United States Army. He holds a bachelor of science degree in criminal justice from Ashworth College and is currently pursuing a Master of Arts degree in security management. He has attained the highest level credential of Certified Healthcare Protection Administrator (CHPA) from the International Association for Healthcare Security and Safety (IAHSS). He is one of only a handful in NY to attain this esteemed credential and one of approximately 350 worldwide.
He holds many training certifications including: New York State Security Guard General Topics Instructor, DCJS Police OC Instructor, NYS Security Guard Firearms Instructor, and Active Shooter Instructor to name a few. He also holds professional certifications in Healthcare Professional Safety, Hospital Emergency Coordinator II, and FEMA Professional Development Series.
Mr. Nelson has extensive experience in both contract and propriety security. Dave serves as the Security Guard Training School co-director and public safety coordinator at the hospital. He has been very active in developing and delivering high quality security programs for the hospital and to the community. He is a seasoned instructor, always willing to share his knowledge to help other security personnel achieve their goals. His focus has always been on education, training and the professionalization of the security profession.