Breast surgery can be done by breast surgeons, general surgeons, or plastic surgeons.
Breast surgery is generally performed for one of the following reasons:
- to diagnose, treat or prevent diseases of the breast
- to reconstruct the breast after surgery for treatment or prevention
- to improve the cosmetic appearance of the breast or symmetry between the breasts
The procedures done by breast surgeons or general surgeons include:
- surgery for breast abscess
- surgical breast biopsy
- partial mastectomy (lumpectomy) to remove a breast cancer
- mastectomy to remove the breast.
- sentinel lymph node biopsy
- axillary dissection
The following procedures are done by breast or general surgeons working together with plastic surgeons:
- oncoplastic surgery (combining partial mastectomy and surgery to reshape the breast)
- skin-sparing mastectomy with immediate breast reconstruction
- nipple-sparing mastectomy with immediate breast reconstruction
Procedures done by plastic surgeons include:
- mastopexy, or breast lift surgery, to reshape the breast
- breast reduction surgery
Breast Surgery is offered at two locations: Saratoga Hospital and the Saratoga Surgery Center on the Wilton Campus. The surgeons deliver care at these locations with the support of specially trained anesthesiologists, nurses, physician assistants, and surgical technicians. State-of-the-art diagnostic and surgical technology and tools help ensure that patients receive high-quality care in a safe environment—and the best possible outcomes.