Your doctor may order pre-procedure testing—including blood work, an EKG, or chest X-ray—to provide us with important information about your medical status. We also use this pre-procedure appointment to learn more about your medical history and to answer your questions about your procedure. To help your pre-procedure testing go as smoothly as possible, please:
- Complete any paperwork provided by your doctor and bring it with you. We may also ask you to complete additional forms during your visit.
- Expect to spend one hour with us. During that time, we will perform the tests ordered by your doctor, and one of our nurses will interview you about your health history.
- Bring a list of your medications and dosages, information on previous surgeries, and the names of doctors who are involved in your care.
If no pre-procedure testing is scheduled, a pre-operative interview will be conducted by telephone. Please expect a call from a nurse from Saratoga Hospital or Saratoga Surgery Center up to one week prior to your scheduled procedure.
Before Your Surgery
Please call your doctor if:
- There are any changes in your physical condition or if you develop a cough, sore throat, or fever.
- You are taking anticoagulants (blood thinners), aspirin, herbal supplements, or products containing aspirin. Your doctor may want you to stop taking these medications before and/or after your procedure.
- You suspect you may be pregnant.
- You did not receive an instruction/preparation sheet.
Day of Your Procedure
Arrival and registration:
Please arrive at the scheduled time and go directly to the registration area. Note that your arrival time is earlier than that of your actual procedure.
Bring a list of all your medications—including prescription and non-prescription drugs— and a list of any drug allergies that you may have. If you use an inhaler, bring that, too. Remember: Do not take any medication before your procedure unless you’ve been instructed to do so by your doctor or nurse.
You may shave, bathe or shower before coming to the Hospital/Surgery Center. When you brush your teeth, remember not to swallow any water.
Please leave all valuables, including jewelry and cash, at home.
Clothing and personal care:
Wear loose-fitting clothing and comfortable shoes. Do not wear makeup, perfumes, creams, lotions, nail polish, or false nails. Wear your hair loose, without clips, pins, or bands, and do not use hair spray. If you wear dentures, hearing aids, or glasses, you may bring them with you, but must remove them before the procedure. Do not wear contact lenses.
After the procedure, you will not be able to drive. Please arrange to have a responsible adult escort you home and stay with you for at least 24 hours