Saratoga Hospital was founded in the late 19th century by a group of prominent women who were determined to meet their community’s desperate need for medical care. Back then, despite its popularity as a “water cure” destination, Saratoga Springs had no hospital. Instead, injuries and other emergencies were treated in a room in police headquarters.
Records indicate that the “police hospital” was used every few months in 1890 and 1891 and that at least one man died there. At about the same time, the group of women began meeting to plan a more fitting replacement for the inadequate facility. On December 11, 1891, five of them signed the certificate of incorporation for Saratoga Emergency Hospital, the organization that ultimately would become Saratoga County’s leading healthcare provider.
During the more than 120 years since, Saratoga Hospital has remained true to the vision of its founders, keeping pace with the changing needs of the community to ensure its continued good health and exceptional quality of life. Following are some milestones.
Saratoga Emergency Hospital opens in a former house at the corner of West Harrison and Division streets
Flower and Fruit Mission is established to support maternity services and provide other charitable assistance.
New larger hospital opens at 211 Church Street, site of the current Saratoga Hospital campus
Saratoga Hospital Guild is founded to foster better relations between the Hospital and the community.
New, four-story C wing opens, increasing the size of the Hospital by 150 percent.
Fire causes significant damage to A wing.
New four-story D wing opens.
Hospital breaks ground for $21 million expansion, including new construction and demolition of A and B wings.
Saratoga Hospital Foundation is established to oversee philanthropic efforts in support of Hospital services and capital projects.
Wilton Medical Arts opens; first services on new Wilton Campus.
Same-Day Surgery Center opens at Saratoga Hospital.
Whitney-Hendrickson Cardiac Catheterization Center opens at Saratoga Hospital.
Hospital is first in the Capital Region to earn Magnet® recognition for nursing excellence from the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
Mollie Wilmot Radiation Oncology Center opens at Saratoga Hospital.
Alfred Z. Solomon Emergency Center opens at Saratoga Hospital.
Hospital opens Saratoga Community Health Center in downtown Saratoga Springs.
Multispecialty Saratoga Hospital Medical Group is established.
Saratoga Hospital and Albany Medical Center partner to launch Malta Med Emergent Care; first services on new Malta campus.
Marylou Whitney and Desmond DelGiacco, MD, Intensive Care Unit opens at Saratoga Hospital.
New surgical pavilion opens at Saratoga Hospital.
Saratoga Hospital affiliates with Albany Medical Center; with Columbia Memorial Hospital is one of three hospitals in the Albany Med system.