Saratoga Hospital Volunteer Guild
Saratoga Hospital Volunteer Guild was founded in 1948 by 14 women whose intent was to establish a service organization to assist with “any project” that would “help the Hospital in the community.” Today’s Guild boasts more than 300 volunteers—men and women who, combined, routinely donate more than 50,000 hours of service per year. Equally impressive, through its fundraisers and retail establishments, the Guild has contributed millions of dollars to support Hospital programs and projects.
In recognition of its extraordinary contributions to Saratoga Hospital and the community, the Guild has twice been honored with the Healthcare Association of New York State (HANYS) Auxiliary of the Year Award.
Examples of Guild contributions:
- Operating the Hospital Gift Shoppe and the award-winning Treasures Consignment Boutique and Thrift Shop. Proceeds from both retail ventures are donated to the Hospital.
- Partnering with over a dozen local agencies to provide clothing and household articles for those in need.
- Providing five scholarships each year to high school seniors interested in pursuing careers in healthcare.
- Involving teens in the junior volunteer program, Students Sharing Opportunities and Responsibilities (SSOAR). (See below.)
- Assisting at American Red Cross blood drives
- Serving as “Reading Buddies” at Geyser Road Elementary School
- The Saratoga Hospital Volunteer Guild Annual Flower Fundraiser
- Inviting the community to participate in the “Lights of Love” holiday memorial and recognition service
- A well-loved Saratoga Hospital Volunteer Guild tradition, the annual “Lights of Love” tree brings in the holiday season at Saratoga Hospital with its spectacular array of twinkling lights. Each light is donated in honor, memory, or appreciation of loved ones. If you would like to remember someone special this holiday season through “Lights of Love”, please fill out this order form and send return this form to us.
Since 1990, the Saratoga Hospital Volunteer Guild has offered scholarships to high school seniors in the Saratoga County area who are interested in pursuing healthcare careers. This year, the Guild is offering five $1500 scholarships.
Eligible students must be:
- Entering college in September of 2019
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA
- Have a documented record of community service, especially in a healthcare environment.
Application deadline is March 20, 2019.
Scholarship recipients will be honored at a Volunteer Guild Dinner on May 2, 2019.
SSOAR gives high school juniors and seniors a firsthand look at healthcare. Students volunteer for at least 48 hours in the summer, assisting in areas including the Alfred Z. Solomon Emergency Center, Regional Therapy Centers, Urgent Care, William J. Hickey Women’s Health Services, Nutritional Services, The Orthopedic Center, and more.
For more information about volunteering, contact:
Director of Volunteer Services
Complete the appropriate volunteer application, below, and mail it to:
Director of Volunteer Services
211 Church Street
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
Volunteer Application (print)