Our approach to Obstetrics
The Saratoga Hospital Medical Group – Midwifery and Women’s Health Services team takes a family-centered approach to obstetrics/maternity care. In the weeks and months before the birth, we make it all about you. We encourage you to ask questions,and guide you in making the decisions that work best for you. Throughout the process, we will support you and your wishes in every way that we can. If you are looking for a personalized approach to your care, we’re just what you’re looking for.
Why Choose a Certified Nurse Midwife
A certified nurse midwife (CNM) is a registered nurse who has earned a graduate degree in midwifery or midwifery education—plus certification from the American College of Nurse Midwives. CNMs have the skills and training to handle all aspects of a normal, low-risk pregnancy, from prenatal care through delivery and postpartum care. Midwives typically spend more time with patients during prenatal visits, and serve as a source of support during labor and delivery. Women who choose midwives are less likely to have cesarean-section births, induced labor, forceps deliveries, perineal tears, and regional anesthesia.
CNMs also can prescribe medication and provide comprehensive women’s healthcare; including well woman annual exams, pap smears, STI screening, birth control consults including placement of IUD’s and implants, endometrial biopsies and colposcopies, peri and post menopausal care – including hormone replacement and bioidentical therapy.
William J. Hickey Women’s Health Services
Delivering a family centered approach to your care and childbirth experience, the William J. Hickey Women’s Health Services is a wonderful place to welcome the newest addition to your family.
Services and amenities include:
- Comfortable birthing suites, with overnight accommodations for a support person
- Family centered education programs including childbirth preparation, infant care, breastfeeding, Dads on Duty, infant safety and CPR and prenatal yoga
- Mother/baby care
- A variety of pain management options, including inhaled nitrous oxide (laughing gas)
- Lactation consultants
- In-house 24/7 midwifery services and neonatal hospitalists
- Home health for early discharge
- Follow-up care and other services to help keep your family healthy